Meridian Class A Shares
An exclusive investment opportunity for Meridian Members.
What are Class A Shares?
Meridian Class A Shares are a unique and exclusive investment opportunity for Meridian Members. When you invest in Class A Shares, you invest in Meridian directly by strengthening our capital base. In return, you can earn a competitive minimum rate of return*, and diversify your investment portfolio.
Class A Shares are available for registered (TFSA, RRSP, RRIF) and non-registered accounts.
What you need to know to purchase Class A Shares
- The dividend rates and dividend floor rates are different for each series of Class A Shares. Rate details can be found in our Class A Shares Comparison Sheet.
- A Summary of Rights for each series of Class A Shares can be found in our Summary of Rights Document.
- To review our latest Annual Corporate Report, please click here.
- Subscriptions for Class A Shares are available to Members only – anyone living in Canada can easily become a Member; however, to purchase Class A Shares, the Member must also be a resident or have a registered business of Ontario for certain shares. Purchasing Class A Shares does not entitle a Member to additional membership votes.
- Income earned on Class A Shares is taxed as interest, whereas income typically earned on common shares is taxed as dividends.
- There is no secondary market (stock market) where Class A Shares can be traded.
Currently, Meridian offers the following Class A Shares series:
- 50th Anniversary (Personal Ownership only)
- Series 96 (Personal Ownership only)
- Series 98 (Personal Ownership only)
- Series 01 (Personal Ownership only)
- Series 09 (Personal Ownership only)
- Series 15 (Personal and Business Ownership)
- Series 17 (Personal and Business Ownership)
- Series 23 (Personal and Business Ownership)
When you purchase from existing Class A Shares, there is no minimum amount required to purchase. The maximum number of Shares that each Member can purchase by Series are as follows:
- 50th Anniversary: 100,000
- Series 96: 100,000
- Series 98: 150,000
- Series 01: 150,000
- Series 09: 250,000
- Series 15: 500,000
- Series 17: 2,000,000
- Series 23: 2,000,000
The dividend rates and dividend floor rates are different for each series of Class A Shares. Details can be found on our Class A Shares Comparison Sheet (PDF, 153 KB).
The dividend floor rate is subject to change after the initial 5 years, as outlined within the Offering Statement, and each five years thereafter. The annual dividend rate can be higher than the dividend floor rate (with the exception of Series 96). Dividends (taxed as interest income) are not guaranteed to be declared annually. Series 96 shares are cumulative. All other series are noncumulative.
Yes, Class A Shares are eligible for Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIF) and Tax Free Savings Accounts (TFSA), as well as non-registered plans.
If declared, dividends are paid to the holder of the Class A Shares on the dividend payment date in cash or additional shares as permitted by the Board of Directors and, where applicable as per the Member's preference. Payment is typically determined by the investor. However, the Board of Directors can mandate a specific type of payment (shares, cash or combination of both).
Dividend payments are not prorated, no matter when you purchase Class A Shares.
No, as of 2023, Meridian has paid the dividend floor rate or higher for all Class A Shares.
You can contact a branch or our Contact Centre (1-866-592-2226) to request to purchase Class A Shares. If there are no Class A Shares available for sale, you can request to be added to a Class A Shares Waiting List. When Class A Shares become available for sale, we’ll contact Members on the Waiting List about purchasing the available Class A Shares.
No, there is no requirement to be placed on the Waiting List to purchase Class A Shares. If a Member expresses interest and Class A Shares are available, they will have the opportunity to purchase Shares immediately.
Members can request to transfer their Class A Shares at any time. Meridian will attempt to facilitate a transfer by matching a Member looking to sell their Class A Shares (the seller) with a buyer from our Members. If you transfer your Class A Shares to another Member, you’ll get back your original purchased amount.
No redemptions are permitted until the fifth anniversary of the issue date (except upon death of the shareholder). The maximum redemptions in any fiscal year cannot exceed 10% of each Series Class A Shares issued and outstanding at the end of the preceding calendar year. This is subject to Board approval and Applicable Law.
If you have a Meridian non-redeemable GIC (other than a market-linked GIC), you can redeem it without penalty to purchase Class A Shares.
Class A Shares are not eligible for deposit insurance by the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA).
Interested in purchasing Class A Shares?
There are a number of ways to get in touch with us. Submit your details using the form below and we’ll contact you at a suitable time. Alternatively, you can give us a call or book an appointment with one of our associates.
All fields are required.
*Depending on the series, the dividend floor rate ranges from 4.00% of 6.50%. Dividends are not guaranteed.
**Annual Dividend Rates in 2022 and 2023 are higher than the dividend floor rate (with the exception of Series 96).
Joining the waiting list does not obligate a Member to purchase Investment Shares.
TMTrademarks of Meridian Credit Union Limited. Copyright © 2023 Meridian Credit Union.